Transmission Line Surge Arresters
There are different methods to improve transmission line performance due to lightning:
- a) Increase the dry arcing distance from the insulators strings.
- b) Install shield wires on lines without shield wires.
- c) Improve the shield wire performance.
- d) Improve the grounding system performance of surges by improving the
tower footing resistance.
- e) Installation of transmission line arresters to counteract the effects of
lightning or switching activity.
Cases have shown transmission line surge arresters, electrically connected in parallel
with the insulator string, have been considered as an effective method to improve
transmission line performance especially when associated with improvements to the
grounding system and usually presents the best benefit versus cost relationship in
reducing flashovers of the insulator string due to excessive voltages.